A few weeks ago, I went to Faith Farm’s big sale and found (among other things) this great little shelf.
The metal was in really good shape – no rust or pitting – but the shelves were made of particle board and already starting to get icky.
Since I needed something for the plants on our front porch, I purchased it – bubbly boards and all. I loved that the shelves were different heights, which was exactly what I needed. I have a few plants that were either too big for the little cast iron stand I have, or too little to sit on the ground by itself. I really had no other place to put them, so this was perfect! And I liked that the sides were open, so that the plants would get sunshine from all sides, and have room to grow out, too.
Since we were in the middle of our bathroom renovation, I placed the plants on it and added the “replace the shelves” project to my list of things to do… This week, I finally got to it.
While at Home Depot, I purchased a 4 foot by 4 foot piece of plywood board that was sanded on one side so that it was smooth and much prettier than just regular plywood (about $18). I loved the wood grain of it, and it was just the perfect thickness too, to fit the shelves. They cut it down into the sizes I needed in a few minutes, and I was on my way faster than I could have broken out my table saw and made all the measurements. I love Home Depot for making my life so much easier that way 🙂
A few months ago, I had received some spray stain from Thompson’s WaterSeal and I figured that this would be the perfect opportunity to try it out.
I loved that the application was so easy, but what made it perfect for my shelves is that it was also waterproofing, something that would be necessary because the shelf will be living on my front porch. Although it will be under the patio roof, when it rains, it will still get wet. Not to mention when I water the plants, they are bound to overflow onto it.
I was a little worried that the spray stain would turn out more like it was painted, and I would lose the wood grain look, but I was nicely surprised to see that the stain absorbed into the wood, just as a brushed or wiped on stain would. I just sprayed the pieces lightly, and repeated one more time when they were dry. If the stain happened to pool or get too dark, I wiped the excess off with a towel. That didn’t happen too often though – it sprayed on pretty evenly.
Then, flipped them over and sprayed the other side. I also made sure to spray around the edges too. Although you wouldn’t be seeing the undersides or the sides, they needed waterproofing too. I waited two days until they dried all the way, and replaced the old shelves with the new ones.
Why do I call it an Ogre Plant? Well, when I found it at Ikea a few months ago, this is what it looked like…
Can you see his arms and his grouchy face beneath his head of leaf-hair? The belly button is hysterical! He makes me smile every time I water him.
I love how it turned out! For less than $30, I have a beautiful shelf for our porch that will stand up to the Florida humidity and heat, and display my favorite plants and pots and the Mexican Piggy Bank we got on our Road Trip this summer. I’m still debating on whether I’ll paint the metal too, but for now, I am loving it’s new look! Now, I have to tackle the adirondack chairs – this spray will make all those nooks and crannies so much easier to get to!
By the way – Thompson’s WaterSeal did not pay me or compensate me in any way for this post, but they did send me the product to try out. They had no say on what I wrote, the thoughts/ideas/review in this post are all my own.