A few months ago, I started a upholstery class on Tuesday nights. We each had to bring our own “project” piece with us to class every week. Do you remember when my chair looked like this?
And now, it’s finally finished. Yay!! I have been doing a happy dance every time I see it sitting in the bedroom!
Unfortunately, the paint job didn’t hold up as well as I would have liked through 8 weeks of going back and forth to class, but it makes it look a little distressed and adds some character, so I’m not going to touch it up. For now.
Although I am glad this chair is done, I was sad to see the class end. My friend from high school took the class with me, so it was great to actually get to see her every week (she lives about 40 minutes away), so I’m bummed to miss out on catching up with her. Not to mention that she completely rocked that class! She finished not one, not two, but THREE projects in the time we took the class.
The next session of classes starts next month, so I’ll be signing up again. I figure with all the chairs I have to finish, it’s a great investment of time and money to learn as much as I can about it.
I wish I had the forethought to take before and after pictures of everyone’s projects to share here – some of the transformations were quite amazing. There were all kinds of projects – from footstools to boat chairs to benches and everything in between. And I wish I had paid more attention to what everyone else had going on. It would have been great to see how to do all the different techniques – welting, double welting, tack strips, piecing together fabric, etc. But I was so determined to get my chair finished, I hardly took any time to check out what everyone else was doing. And I hated feeling all nosey and stalker-ish, standing over their shoulders, watching them work…
Last year, I attempted my first chair makeover…
Now that I know what I did wrong on the first one, I want to go back and re-do it again to match the new one better. If you could see this one in person, you’d laugh at my lame attempt at a cushion cover (I just made a pillowcase cover for it), and I literally just sewed a piece of fabric around the old double welting that was on the original chair and glued it on. Oh, and forget trying to re-tuft it. Heck, I didn’t even fill in the holes before I stapled on the new fabric. Yeah, not stellar stuff, but at the time, I was crazy proud of it! I guess I still am. I did it way back before I knew about all the amazing blogs with step-by-step instructions on how to re-upholster a chair.
Anyway, I’m going back to pulling the fabric off my orange couch now that I’ve had my tetanus shot updated. Hopefully, I’ll be able to keep the puncture wounds to a minimum 😛
Thanks for stopping by!