I saw the coolest idea for transferring a photo onto a block of wood on Pinterest, originally by Sugar and Paint, so I pinned it and set to work gathering materials.
This is what I used to complete the project.
- wooden board
- picture printed on regular printer paper
- mod podge
- gel medium
- rag and bowl of water
This is the original pin that I found. You can click on the picture to visit her page.
The original pin I pinned was a link to her video, that showed the whole process from start to finish in about a minute. Very cute. I recommend that you check it out, here. In fact, I’m not going to go through the whole process here, so click on the link and come back… I’ll wait.
Back already? It was cute, huh? Well, anyway, I followed her steps, which were easy. But when I wet the back of the paper and started to rub it off, it kept taking huge chunks of the picture too. I wish I had taken a picture, but it was such a mess that I let it dry, sanded it completely off and tried again. This time, I tried a color picture. This is how it turned out.
Then, I turned the wood over and tried again. Although this one came out better, it still is not great.
Most of my face is covered in what looks like scratches.
But my handsome husband is looking pretty good!
Next, I tried a pic of the daughter. On her’s, I was afraid to rub too hard to take off the paper, so it has a lot of white fuzzy paper left on it.
So, I just went over it with mod podge and called it a day.
I think next time, I will buy a softer, more porous wood. The one I did of my son wasn’t even picture worthy.
But I did try one of him using the same technique using canvas instead of wood. This is the pin I found for it.
It came out better than the wood, I think because it’s more porous.
I used Krylon Make it Last Clear Sealer on top of this one, instead of Mod Podge.
I am going to try this again, as I have a crazy amount of material left for it, but I will be wetting the canvas before I put the medium on it. Maybe that will help the ink to sink in a little better.
Have you tried these projects? How did yours turn out?
Thanks for stopping by!
UPDATE: I tried this again using a wooden board. This time, I sanded the surface to get out any bumps or ridges, and instead of just putting the gel medium on, I wet the board first, then put the gel medium on, and then the picture and smoothed it out. I let it sit for about an hour, then took a wet paper towel and wet the back of the paper, again. My thought process was that it would release more of the ink into the board. Then I let it sit for a few hours to dry completely. When I went to remove the paper this time, there was much improvement with the picture staying on the board, and not just rolling off with the paper. I don’t know if that’s the key to success for this project, but it worked for me!