New House Progress
We have been working like madmen on the new house for the past month and a half. (hit that link to go see the before pictures) Since I’m obviously terrible at keeping you updated on here, this is the list of what we’ve accomplished so far:
- Removed all the floors in the house. Except for our master bathroom.
That took about a week. First they had to remove the tile, then remove the glue or thinset underneath. It was a long, dirty, dusty, LOUD process.
- Removed entire kitchen and walls that enclosed the space.
Ahhh… a clean slate
- Ripped out Jack-and-Jill bathroom.
We chose to take the tub out completely because, well, I hated everything about it. It was super tall, didn’t work, was ugly and my kids never take baths, always showers. We are putting 12 x 24 tiles on the walls and floor, and a pebble floor for the shower. It will also be getting a new countertop, toilet, etc. It’s about 75% complete, and I’m super excited to see how it will turn out.
- Painted the entire house, with the exception of one room (the office).
If you follow me on instagram, you have seen that picture already. When the time comes for me to post on each room, I’ll try to find a before to show you for each space. This cabana bath has had new penny tile installed on the floors and in the shower, it’s been painted and a new toilet was put in. This bathroom will be getting new granite countertops too. And a new door has already been bought, just not installed yet.
- Cleaned up the overgrowth in the yard, and took out numerous trees and stumps. Again no pictures, sorry. But let’s just agree that it looks so. much. better. At some point, I will try to get myself organized and find the pics I took before. Don’t hold your breath though, I lost a bunch of pictures from my phone somehow.
- Except for two bathrooms, all of the floors in the house have been re-tiled. We used the same tile that we had in the old house (if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it) but this time we went with a true herringbone pattern, so they look like “w’s” not “L’s”. I love it. Unfortunately, since we are still under construction around here, and not fully unpacked, they get dirty in a New York minute. So, here’s the best picture I have of them for now. Some of the animals decided they needed to watch me eat a sandwich and take the photo. It’s nice to have fans.
- The cabinets in the kitchen are installed, but we are waiting on some final tweaks to happen. We are having our counters installed on Friday, so I’m hoping to have the tweaks completed before they come. I will share the kitchen with you when it’s all put together. I’m still trying to figure out what kind of backsplash to put in. So many options, only one kitchen… sigh.
- And of course, my favorite finished part so far, the front entryway!
I have to admit that this process has been a massively frustrating, entirely too long, maddening experience. And while I would love to rant and rave about all the issues, I’m going to focus on all the things that are going right. Things have a way of working out anyway. It might not happen soon, but hey, we’ll be here a while 🙂
So, that’s the progress so far. Check back soon to see what else is happening.